Saturday, June 22, 2013

The NSA, IRS, and AP Scandals

I always say that I'm going to keep up with my blog, but I never do. I rarely have time to sit down and collect my thoughts coherently enough to merit a blog post. But! There is enough going on on the news right now that my thoughts are already collected. This post is two things. An update on my life. And a collection of thoughts on the scandals facing the Obama administration. 

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, effects, and papers against unreasonable search and seizure shall not be violated. And no warrant shall issue unless upon probable cause supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or items to be seized." The Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution. 

That's my entire argument. It encompasses the IRS scandal, the NSA scandal and the DoJ scandal involving AP; the only difference is that the scandal involving the AP also encompasses the freedom of the press found in the first amendment.  

Yes. I've heard the argument that the only data being stored is non-identifiable metadata. And I would point out, that whenever any of you log into Facebook, there is a tab that suggests friends of friends. If metadata is not able to individually identify people, how does Facebook use it to reconstruct social networks? (I try not to cater to the lowest common denominator in any given situation. But because I know that there are people who will search for my name on the Internet, I have to explain simple terms that have wider meanings than the ones that are related to the Internet these days. That being said, the term "social network" did not come to life with the invention of MySpace, and subsequently Facebook. A social network, in its most basic anthropological form, means the people that you connect with on a daily basis. Be it family, friends, coworkers, etc.)

SCOTUS decides on Fisher v UT this week. So I will definitely be analyzing that opinion and posting my thoughts. 

On a personal note. My life is amazing. I have the best friends in the world. Ones that I would give anything for. And I have a family that loves me unconditionally. Both groups in my "social network" are incredibly supportive of my life decisions. And they are totally willing to talk through law school or grad school with me. A certain someone is driving here to see me in two weekends, and I am unbelievably excited. And at the end of the summer, I get to spend time with my favorite people in Maryland. :) 

While you're searching the Internet, definitely look up "Congressional Abdication" written by Jim Webb. And look up the details of Rand Paul's filibuster. 

Meanwhile, I've been invited to sit on the exploratory committee for a possible congressional candidate. And I am counting the days until the first official meeting. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment